Fettuccine Alfredo RecipePrint This
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 50g sliced fresh mushrooms
- 100g light béchamel sauce (see below)
- 20ml whipping cream
- 3 leaves basil, sliced
- Salt & pepper
- Grated fresh Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 200g fresh fettuccine (you can buy this in most supermarkets but dried is a good substitute)
- Infuse 100ml of milk with a bay leave and a couple of peppercorns by heating gently.
- Melt 10g of butter in a small saucepan and add 5g of flour, stirring with a wooden spoon and cooking lightly until you get the aroma of cake.
- This is a roux. Slowly whisk in the milk, then simmer, whisking constantly until the sauce thickens and the flour cooks out.
- Season well with salt and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Fry the mushrooms in the olive oil until they are almost cooked then add the garlic and sweat down.
- Stir this into the warm béchamel sauce and enrich with the cream. Check the seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- You can also add cheese here to make it even more tasty. Cook the pasta in boiling salted water according to the instructions. Fresh pasta will take only a few minutes while dried may be 8-10 minutes.
- Drain and toss through the sauce and fresh basil then plate up.