Rabbit Leg Confit With Creamy Mustard Sauce RecipePrint This
- 6 rabbit legs
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 3 Tbs sea salt
- 10 black pepper corns
- corn oil or sunflower oil as needed
- 1 Tbs duck fat or butter
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 oranges, sliced
- 1 cup black olives
- Dry-cure the meat: Place the legs in a bowl and sprinkle 2- 3 tbsp of sea salt. Depending of their size, use 2 tbsp per kilo of meat. Add 2 sprigs of rosemary, cover with cling film and refrigerate for 8-10 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 125 C. To confit the rabbit legs: wash off the salt under cold running water, pat them dry and place in a fitting baking dish. Throw in the pepper corns, 2 garlic cloves and add enough oil to the pan to completely submerge the legs.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and put in the oven for 3 hours. Remove the legs from the baking dish and let cool slightly. Heat 1 tbsp of duck fat and 2 tbsp of the oil from the baking dish in a large sauce pan and brown the rabbit legs on all sides working in badges if your pan is not large enough.
- Add 2 garlic cloves and a sprig of rosemary, but be sure to remove the garlic before it starts burning. Transfer the rabbit to the serving platter.
- Sauté the oranges and olives: discard the oil used for browning reserving 1 tbsp. Place the oranges in the pan and cook until browned on both sides. Transfer them to a serving platter. Add the olives to the pan and sauté for 30 second then add to the platter.
For The Sauce
- In a small nonstick saucepan combine the cold cream and corn flour and stir until the flour dissolves. Whisk in the rest of the ingredients and heat over medium fire, whisking constantly until the sauce thickens.
- Remove and discard the garlic clove and thyme.
- Transfer the sauce to a gravy boat. Enjoy!