Pumpkin Pie with Spiced Crust RecipePrint This
- For the crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting the work surface
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (1 stick), cut into small pieces
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- For the filling:
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin purée (not pie filling)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
For the crust:
- Whisk the measured flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and cloves in a medium bowl to aerate and combine. Add the butter and, using a pastry blender or your fingers, mix the butter into the dry ingredients until it’s in pea-size pieces, about 5 minutes.
- Add 4 tablespoons of the ice water and mix just until the dough comes together. (Add an additional tablespoon of ice water if necessary, but do not overwork the dough or it will become tough.) Shape the dough into a flat disk, cover it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Lightly flour a work surface and roll the dough out into a round approximately 12 inches in diameter and 1/4 inch thick. Line a 9-inch pie plate with the dough and fold the excess under itself, crimping the edges to seal.
- Line the crust with a piece of parchment paper or aluminum foil and fill it with pie weights. Bake the crust on a baking sheet until set and light brown, about 20 minutes. Remove the pie weights and parchment paper and continue baking until the crust is dry to the touch, about 10 minutes more. Let cool slightly before adding the filling.
For the filling:
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and whisk until smooth. Pour the mixture into the crust and bake until the filling is set in the middle and the edges are puffed, about 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature before cutting.