- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Golden Fry
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1/2 head of small cabbage, shredded
- 2 thinly cut carrots
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 50 frozen spring roll wrappers defrosted
- 2 cups Golden Fry oil for deep frying
- For the Cornstarch Slurry
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
Prepare the Filling
1. Heat a wok or large saute pan over high heat. When it starts getting hot, add 1 tbsp cooking oil.
2. Add in the green onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds. Take care not to burn these aromatics.
3. Add in the carrots and cabbage. Stir well and turn the heat to medium-high.
4. Stir fry the vegetables for 2 minutes, or until the carrots have softened.
5. Add the oyster sauce and toss again.
6. Spread the mixture out on a baking sheet to let cool. Prop up the baking sheet on one end so that any liquid collects on the other side.
7. When the mixture is cool, discard the liquid.
Wrapping Spring Rolls
1. Mix cornstarch slurry: in a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water.
2. Open the egg roll wrapper package, cover with damp towel to prevent drying out.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of filling to egg roll and roll up. Secure with cornstarch slurry.
4. Keep rolled egg rolls covered with plastic wrap to prevent drying.
Frying Spring Rolls
1. When ready to fry, heat 1 ½ cup of oil in a wok or deep, heavy skillet for 5-10 minutes. Carefully slide in the egg rolls, a few at a time, to the oil to fry. Turn the egg rolls occasionally to brown evenly and fry for about 3 minutes. Let cool on rack. Repeat with the remaining egg rolls.